Saturday, April 7, 2012

VISITA IGLESIA: A TRADITION AND A WAY TO PRESERVE AND TO CHERISH

Visita Iglesia is one of the most beautiful traditions in the Roman Catholic Church.  This Lenten pilgrimage is a demonstration of our faith and belief that life is a journey, it is a pilgrimage and as pilgrim our main objective is to reach the goal of our journey.  I would like to share with you some photographs that I have of the different churches in Bicol particularly in the province of Albay where I live. Perhaps in the future or next year if you do plan to visit Bicol try visiting these churches.  Like many places in the Philippines there are beautiful baroque churches here in Bicol made of volcanic rocks or made of brick.  I am sure that the authorities have done a great job of preserving this architectural treasures.  These artifacts are not only places of worship but they speak of our history and soul as Bicolanos and of our great Christian heritage. What saddens me though are the various renovations of the interior that destroyed the originality and the history of these churches.  Some parish priests perhaps do it for purposes of liturgical renewal as they say it what the Vatican II says or PCP II.  But I don't think Vatican II documents authorized the removal of communion rails, choir lofts and pulpits.  I wish that these parish priests could be invited in old places like Europe where even modernity never dared to alter the interiors of great cathedrals.  I hope that our religious authorities will have the sensitivity and appreciation for art and humanities.  Now to explain this beautiful tradition of visita Iglesia may I suggest this blog I have found on the net.  The title of the blog article is  Visita Iglesia, History, Tradition and Significance. 

The Parish of St. Stephen Protomartyr, Ligao, Albay, P.I.

The Cathedral of the Diocese of Libmanan, the Patron Saint is St. James the Apostle

Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Caceres in Naga City, Camarines Sur, P.I.
The patron Saint is St. John the Evangelist

Parish Church of St. Anthony of Padua, Gubat, Sorsogon

Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, Tabaco City, Albay P.I.

Cathedral of the Diocese of Sorsogon, Sorsogon P.I. The Patron Saints are
Peter and Paul

The Parish Church of St. Dominic of Guzman, Sto. Domingo, Albay, P.I.

Parish Church of St. Rose of Lima, Bacacay, Albay, P.I.

Parish of St. Michael the Archangel, Caramoan, Camarines Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment