Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reminiscing Uppsala

In 2008, I had the rare opportunity to visit Uppsala, Sweden because of the sponsorship I got to participate in the Top Level Seminar on Peace and Security at the Uppsala University.  Prior to this I had my readings about Sweden and I was impressed by the history of the place.  Before leaving for Sweden I was already armed with knowledge of the history of the country and of the locality of which I am staying.  I never expected to arrived on a snowy day and much more on a snowstorm.  They said it was unusual to have that kind of weather early December.  Usually the snow comes later in winter.  Uppsala is a wonderful city.  Indeed it is a University town,  Home to the famous Uppsala University.  I visited some of its important landmarks and I will share with you some of this pictures.  Hope you enjoy.  These are my photos.

Uppsala Cathedral, the National Shrine of the Church of Sweden (Lutheran)

Probaly part of Uppsala University?

The facade of the Cathedral

The Nave of the Cathedral

I observed that sometimes they used different altar tables for Mass

This is the High Altar


The Ornate pulpit at the Cathedral.  I attended one of the noon masses here.  After the mass I greeted the organist and complemented the beautiful music.  I introduced myself as a Filipino and all of a sudden he mentioned about the famous bamboo organ in Las Pinas, Philippines.  That's how popular the Bamboo Organ is even  this Swedish organist knows something about the bamboo organ.


This is me.  While taking a little walk I requested two students to take my photo.



A monument in Honr of Karl Gustav XIV

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. You're from Bicol University right? Ako rin eh! I saw the background of the tarpaulin poster along the Department of Peace Studies in CSSP, then I remembered that it was your former blog header. Yung photo, yun yung may mga teens na nakatikod with arms raised and they're facing the sea.. Anyways, can you also check out my blog, and follow it if you'd like??! that's aellantada.blogspot.com. Thanks a lot! I've been following your blog for a long time now.. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting. You mean you reside here in Bicol? Anong degree program ka noon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah actually po I'm still studying at BU-CBEM.I'm only in my second year. That's why I always walk along the CSSP. BS Business Administration major in Human Resource Dev't Mgt. po ang tinetake ko.Good Day po. :)

    ReplyDelete